1891 Centennial Arches

    The Bennington Battle Monument was dedicated on August 19.1891. For this event, a “Living Arch” or The Triumphal Arch was constructed on Main Street at the four corners in front of the County National Bank, now the Chittenden Bank. William C. Bull designed the arch and was in charge of its construction. It was a wood frame structure covered with painted canvas to look like the stone in the monument. The arch was 75 feet long, from one side of the street to the other, about 18 feet wide and 60 feet high. For the event, 75 young women and children sang patriotic songs from the top of the arch. U.S. President Benjamin Harrison was present for the celebration.
"History courtesy of Joe Hall"

Here is a Glass plate negative of a photograph showing the centennial "Triumphal Arch" erected in 1891 at Putnam Square to mark the 100th Anniversary of the State of Vermont and the dedication of the Bennington Battle Monument. Taken from West Main Street. What is interesting about this photo is it shows the construction of the Arch, notice there are no flags flying on the towers.

Bennington Museum Collection
Another view of the Centennial Arch
Photographer Burt Frederick Dunham
Bennington Museum Collection

And yet another view of the Centennial Arch

Looking west on East Main Street toward four corners and Putnam Hotel.

Bennington Museum Collection

And yet another view of the Centennial Arch
Looking east on West Main Street toward four corners.
Bennington Museum Collection

Glass plate negative of 1891 Vermont Centennial Arch 

at four corners in Bennington, Vermont, 

looking down East Main Street on other side of arch.

Bennington Museum Collection

Glass plate negative of 1891 Vermont Centennial Arch 

at four corners in Bennington, Vermont, 

looking down East Main Street to arch.

Bennington Museum Collection

"See pages 75-76 below and learn about the Centennial Arch".