Bennington Monument

    In order to understand the place in history of  Little Brown Jugs plus the relevance of their inscriptions, you have to understand the significance of the Battle Of Bennington, the Bennington Centennial, the celebration of Battle Day, and ultimately the building of the Bennington Monument.

     The Bennington Battle Monument is 306 feet 4 and 1/2 inches tall; the cornerstone was laid in 1887, and the monument completed and dedicated in 1891.
     These photographs are of the monument under construction 1887-1891. During construction the blocks of dolomite stone are laid in a pattern know as headers and stretchers. The stones are cut at the site into long, thick blocks; the stretchers are laid lengthwise and the headers are laid with the ends to the outer wall running through to the inside of the structure. The joints are filled with coarse sand and Portland cement. The corner stone (thought to be the southeast corner) is seven feet long, more than two feet thick and is estimated to weigh five tons. On August 16, 1887 the Grand Lodge of Vermont Free and Accepted Masons lay the cornerstone which contains a time capsule filled with memorabilia. The image is also on display in the small gallery inside at the base of the monument.

Thank you Howard C. Ohlhous for this great history.
Colorization by Tim Wager
circa 1887 - Photo from Rt7 Harwood Hill 
Center left the Monument is under construction  

Photo by Joseph H. Hall 
Colorization by Tim Wager

1888 - Construction of the Bennington Battle Monument with the 

Citizens Corp Band of Hoosick Falls lined up across Monument Ave. 


Bennington Museum / Madison Watson Collection

Monument is approximately half way complete.


Bennington Museum Collection

     The Bennington Banner reported that the capstone was put into place on Monday November 25, 1889.  If you would like to read the original article as it appears in the Bennington Banner of November  28, 1889 visit link below.

Bennington Museum Collection
Colorization by Tim Wager

1890 - Before the landscapers showed up to build Monument Circle.


Bennington Museum Collection

Colorization by Tim Wager

Monument view from Monument Avenue.

Bennington Museum Collection
Colorization by Tim Wager
Circa 1890's photo taken from the Old Town Farm property
(Molly Stark School) on Willow / Orchard Road looking west,

Bennington Museum / Madison Watson Collection

     Barns at the bottom of Harwood Hill 

The advertisement on barn reads, Paines Celery Compound,

They started advertising on barns around 1890, 

the painters who did the work were known as "Wall Dogs"


Bennington Museum / Wills T White Collection

Railroad  Crossing at the foot of Harwood Hill, circa 1900,

was replaced by the overpass in 1914.

  

White, Wills Thomas

Bennington Museum Collection

     Unpaved road under a train tressle, identified as Harwood Hill Road, Bennington, Vermont. Bennington Monument, Buildings, and Mount Anthony in background.

White, Wills Thomas
Bennington Museum Collection
The Monument was about 2 years old when this photo was taken.

Photo credit - Bennington History After Dirt Was Invented.

BENNINGTON MONUMENT
looking east
Key House to the left of Monument


Bennington Museum Collection

BENNINGTON, VERMONT, CIRCA 1905.

"Monument commemorating Battle of Bennington -

- Walmscock, N.Y., 1777.


Bennington Museum Collection

BENNINGTON MONUMENT AND MOUNT ANTHONY
from Harwood Hill
National Guard Cavalry

Bennington Museum Collection
Colorization by Tim Wager
Bennington Museum Collection

Bennington Museum Collection.

circa 1906 - The Original Bennington ByPass - 

North Road covered bridge on the north side of the Monument, 

crossed the Walloomsac River by Harmon Road and came out in front of what was this farm house and up Harwood Hill

View from Monument Avenue - 1912


Bennington Museum Collection

Super Stock D/A Roadster in the burnout area at Monument Dragway Unknown person and date and it appears it was taken before the 
Warner statue was installed at the Monument 

Bennington Museum/Wills T. White Collection
Thank you to:
Bennington History After Dirt Was Invented

Bennington Battle Monument taken from the north side


Bennington Museum Collection

Bennington Battle Monument taken from the north side
Bennington Battle Monument taken from the north side

1923 - North Road leading to Monument Circle 


Charles Reynolds Photographer

Bennington Museum Collection 

     1927 - Special lighting was set up for the 

Sesquicentennial Celebration at the Monument... 

There were 15 lamps producing 4.5 million candlepower each.


Photographer Wills White
Bennington Museum Collection

1890's - Caretaker of the Bennington Monument, 

John Baker with his wife and "Lil John Baker Jr.

photo courtesy of Tim Wager

Colorization by Tim Wager